ReefKeepingBasics.com

ReefKeepingBasics.com
 A Reef Keeping Forum for Hobbyists 
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 
 Reef Keeping Basics Online Resource CenterReef Keeping Basics Online Resource Center   Eric V. Van Der Hope's BlogEric V. Van Der Hope's eZine/Blog
The time now is Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:46 am
All times are UTC - 8
View posts since last visit
View unanswered posts
Calendar
 Forum index » RKB's New Member's & General Discussion Area » Reef System General Discussion
Maidens Hair (I Believe) Taking Over Tank.
Moderators: Mod Team
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
PumaKrieg

Maidens Hair (I Believe) Taking Over Tank.

Over the past month or so, Maidens Hair has started to take over my 56 gallon aquarium, and at this point in time is covering a majority of my colony polyps. As of recently i bought a Sailfin Tang, and he does eat the maidens hair although i cant see a noticeable effect since adding him. I also bought an emerald crab as well, although i don't know if he will really have any effect. I try to pull out the maidens hair but i pull out a lot of the colony polyps as well, and i'm desperately trying to keep them. This plant is even taking over the xenia. Very Happy
I have not tested water parameters yet, although i will do soon (need to buy new test kits). What should i do, to get rid of the maidens hair without killing my soft corals?

Thanks!
Buttons
Starburst
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
2 True Percula Clownfish (PAIR)
1 Puddingwife Wrasse
1 Lawnmower Blenny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:29 pm
  View user's profile Send private message    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
PumaKrieg

Wow.... Anyone?
Buttons
Starburst
1 Puddingwife Wrasse
1 Lawnmower Blenny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:32 pm
  View user's profile Send private message    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
Tangman99

Looks like our resident experts are out partying Laughing

You need to test the water first to find the cause as I'm sure you already know. You can pull it out until you are blue in the face but it will keep growing back. Check you nitrates but especially your phosphates which are very difficult to get an accurate measure of. I had it really bad once and just did several water changes and added some Rowaphos.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:05 pm
  View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
PumaKrieg

Yea i read somewhere online though that it isnt like an alagae on the fact that it thrives under high nitrates. Does anyone know if thats true?
Buttons
Starburst
1 Puddingwife Wrasse
1 Lawnmower Blenny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:49 pm
maliha3492

Now don't take my answer as the proper way to do things. I'm just answering your question. I've had my tank up for 11 years straight now. It has been a reef tank for five years. I have never dosed anything in my tank. It only gets trace elements from the salt when I do water changes. I do use a home make two part solution for Calc and Alk that I have been using for about 2 year now.

I have a DSB of aragonite that is 5 years old as is my 100 lbs of fiji rock. Other than a protein skimmer, that is my complete filtration system. Pretty simple setup really that seems to run on autopilot. I've been really bad on water changes also. I might get 3 or 4 a year in. I swear I believe the less I do, the better my tank.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:38 pm
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » RKB's New Member's & General Discussion Area » Reef System General Discussion
Jump to: