ReefKeepingBasics.com

ReefKeepingBasics.com
 A Reef Keeping Forum for Hobbyists 
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 
 Reef Keeping Basics Online Resource CenterReef Keeping Basics Online Resource Center   Eric V. Van Der Hope's BlogEric V. Van Der Hope's eZine/Blog
The time now is Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:46 am
All times are UTC - 8
View posts since last visit
View unanswered posts
Calendar
 Forum index » RKB's New Member's & General Discussion Area » Fish Disease and Treatment
califlower virus??
Moderators: Mod Team
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
aquatwin

califlower virus??
what to do?

hi all,

long time no talk--it's good to see the site back up and running smoothly hopefully!!

anyway, i have a question, one of my clown fish has a little bit of white fuzz on his back and a few spots along his body. it looks kinda like mold--in one of my books the description for califlower virus seems to match up but i'm open for suggestions.

has anyone encountered this before? and how should i treat? the book says you just have to wait for the fishes immune system to fight it and it will go away--is this tru?

thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:11 am
  View user's profile Send private message    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
Tizzo
RKB's Advisor

That cauliflower disease is a nickname for lymphocystis (sp?). If your fish is other wise acting normal, eating OK, not darting (scratching) then I would think your diagnosis is correct. I had little damsels with that disease a LONG time ago and they all recovered on their own. If the spots get incredibly unsightly, you can carefully cut the nodules off using a very sharp razor. Did this just start outa nowhere? or is this fish a new addition?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:19 am
  View user's profile Send private message    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
waterfaller1
RKB's Moderator

It can be a sign of poor water quality, stress, and inadequate diet. If these are addressed, and the fish's environment improves, it should fall off on it's own. What are you feeding? What are your parameters, including PO4? How many fish, in what size tank? How long set up, and do you have a sump & a protein skimmer?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:37 am
aquatwin

it's a smaller (30gal.) tank that has been established for about 3 years. the fish are the first i got when i set up the tank so they are almost 3 years too minus the curing time--i have 3 fish and an assortment of crabs and snails and all have been fine till now--my other clown seems fine. i just did a major clean out of tank and all equipment (i have a skimmer, filter, powerheads) and did a partial water change to see if this would help. so i will keep an eye on him for the next few days. i feed them the regular flake food--can anyone suggest something better--all fish are eating normally but i did notice the clowns jumping a couple times but they don't seem to be scratching which i was trying to look for. i've had a few mechanical problems recently so that may have stressed him. are these symptoms of any other diseases that i may have missed?

also, i've noticed if the some tiny white crab/shrimp like beings and some weird worms in the algea and sand--i cleaned alot of them out with the algea because it looked like something bad--can anyone identify? would this have something to do with the sick fish? i think i noticed them a while before the fish appeared ill.

thanks for all the advise!

emily

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:26 pm
waterfaller1
RKB's Moderator

Hi Emily. Flake food is an inadequate diet for marine fish. Your clowns are omnivores, so they should have a mix of algae based food & meaty food. A more balanced & nutritious diet would be:
A mix of frozen preparations such as
for algae:Ocean Nutrition Formula 2~cut the cube & feed a tiny bit..feed it first so they take some since they will be hungry.
follow with one of the following:
Ocean Nutrition's Prime Reef
Piscine brand mysis shrimp
There are other great foods, but this is a start. Adding a tiny bit of frsh chopped garlic a couple times a week to the food would help build the fish's immune system. Soak food with garlic in cup, remove garlic, feed.
Other supplements that are helpful that you can add a tiny drop on a rotating basis are Kent Zoe Marine{vitamins} & Selcon{amino acids}.
I still need to know what the exact parameters are of your tank to really help. Saying "they are fine" is'nt enough.
Parameters we need to know:
Specific Gravity
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphate
PH
Alkalinity
Calcium
Temperature

How many clean up crew inhabitants & exactly what type do you have in the tank? What is the source of your water? How often are you doing water changes?
The worms you removed{probably bristleworms} and 'tiny crab/shrimps" were probably amphipods. These are beneficial detritavores, they help by assisting with clean up of detritus & leftover food. They can also be a source of live food for some fish & inverts. How much Live rock & live sand do you have? You said you have a filter..what type and how often are you changing the media? Do you have powerheads for circulation, oxygenation, and surface movement in the tank? What kind of mechanical problems did you have? Was there loss of oxygen, did the temperature spike? How much variance is there in the temp from night to day? Are your lights on a timer & how long do you run them? Are you topping off daily with RO/DI water? What I am trying to establish is how much stability there is in your tank. This is paramount for healthy marine fish. There is what we call 'old tank syndrome'. This is where there is so much phosphates built up over time that the rock & substrate become saturated & can no longer process it. .01 of phosphates is equal to 1. of free ammonia.{it is there but will not show on an ammonia test..it does damage the tank inhabitants though}
What is the 3rd fish?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:10 pm
BlankHearty

Thanks a lot for the valuable information's about califlower virus.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:33 pm
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » RKB's New Member's & General Discussion Area » Fish Disease and Treatment
Jump to: