ReefKeepingBasics.com

ReefKeepingBasics.com
 A Reef Keeping Forum for Hobbyists 
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 
 Reef Keeping Basics Online Resource CenterReef Keeping Basics Online Resource Center   Eric V. Van Der Hope's BlogEric V. Van Der Hope's eZine/Blog
The time now is Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:47 am
All times are UTC - 8
View posts since last visit
View unanswered posts
Calendar
 Forum index » Specialty Areas » Do It Yourself (D.I.Y.)
hood mods
Moderators: Mod Team
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
bouraganes

hood mods
mirrors

hi- I modified my aquarium hood to add metal halides to my existing power compacts- and lined the whole thing (except the vents) with mirrors from home depot to increase light output.So far everything is working great

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:38 pm
  View user's profile Send private message    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
Tizzo
RKB's Advisor

Mirrors are not as efficient as reflectors... Reflectors simply reflect, but in order to reflect through a mirror the light has to pass through the glass...twice. Thus reducing it's intensity. The idea is a good one, and I'm sure it took a lot of work, but a shiny sheet of aluminum will better serve your purpose...or even tin foil.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:41 am
  View user's profile Send private message    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
bouraganes

I understand what you are saying- I am using a nice reflector and only added the mirrors as an addition (on uncovered space) to get a little extra light. I have 390 watts of pc and have just added my 1st (250 watt) metal halide light on a 55 gallon tank- All my corals seem to love it

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:04 pm
Reef Tsunami
Host/Administrator

Modifying aquarium hood

Hi you guys, Very Happy

This is a great topic Exclamation

However, I thought I'd move it to another category . . . this one Embarassed Wink

This topic made me think of this category to create - D.I.Y.!

Hopefully this will catch on - everyone seems to like to modify their
tanks . . . for sure!! Razz

This 'Suggestions' Category is for any of you that have suggestions
for the forum. Surprised

(((Reef Tsunami)))

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:24 pm
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
Detritus

who has any DIY projects on the table ? Come on let's post our thoughts here. I know that I have some that I have been working on, like bulkheads - skimmers - Hoods/lighting but I won't be the first Smile so if you have any inventions let us know.

Detritus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:08 pm
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
Tangman99

If you want the best reflection to enhance your reflectors, paint the inside of your hood FLAT white.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:01 pm
  View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
tprice

I used a long mirror on the inside of my hood to enhance my lighting in addition to my reflectors. Is it better to do this or paint the inside flat white?

Regards,
T. Price
Fish Face Photo Booths

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:14 pm
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Specialty Areas » Do It Yourself (D.I.Y.)
Jump to: