ReefKeepingBasics.com

ReefKeepingBasics.com
 A Reef Keeping Forum for Hobbyists 
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 
 Reef Keeping Basics Online Resource CenterReef Keeping Basics Online Resource Center   Eric V. Van Der Hope's BlogEric V. Van Der Hope's eZine/Blog
The time now is Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:46 am
All times are UTC - 8
View posts since last visit
View unanswered posts
Calendar
 Forum index » RKB's New Member's & General Discussion Area » Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Pumps
Moderators: Mod Team
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
rbmount
RKB's Moderator

Pumps

I am getting tired of buying pumps. Mine seem to last a year, then they quit. I have this problem now. I did a water change earlier this week and when I plugged my pump back in,nothing. So I did some emergency repairs, and got it working again.

I am in the market for a new pump, and am wondering will an external pump work on my wet/dry? I realize I will have to do some alterations to the filter. Is an external really worth it, or should I stick with what I have. And which brands of pump, both external and submersible is the best?

They're your sites- vote daily!
http://vote.reefkeepingbasics.com/
http://vote.saltwaterfishpets.com/

Buy the book! It's Great!
http://www.reefkeepingbasics.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:40 am
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
Tangman99

I sure hope I don't jinx myself, but I have a Mag-7 that has been running my Protein skimmer flawlessly for almost two years and as it is under the skimmer platform, I haven't even seen it since I put it in.

I also use a Eheim 1262 as my return pump from my fuge. I've never taken it out either since I put it in over 2 years ago. I never clean my pumps. Rolling Eyes

My old Mag-7 the Eheim replaced worked great for over 5 years. It still does and never failed to restart. I just cracked the housing on it when I was tightening the screw the one time I did clean it.

One work RIO and SEIO sucks! Worst pumps I have ever used in my life for restarting. Even brand new out of the box.

For circulation, I use one Eco-Marine Vortech.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:01 am
  View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
caritarn

I use a mag 9.5 in my sump and it's been doing great. my friend recomended it. prior to changing to the mag9.5 Ihad a mag7 which was hers first and she had it for 5 years- i only changed it out to get more cirulation in the tank:)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:00 pm
  View user's profile Send private message    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
rbmount
RKB's Moderator

I just recieved an Eheim 1262 (after HAVING to buy a new pump, the old one couldn't hang on 3 days), And lo and behold Marine Depot put a catalog in the box with the same pump $50, yes $50 dollars, did I say $50 BUCKS CHEAPER THAN THE ONE I BOUGHT! Well i am on the phone as I type demanding a $50 DOLLAR CREDIT! They said no refund, so I am telling them I will just send it back. Now they're telling me there will be a 20% restocking fee if I send it back. WRONG.

Well after 30 min on the phone, they wouldn't match their own advertised price(said the catalog was old- my reply- why put it in, in the first place if you're not going to honor your own price), but the did agree to match Foster and Smiths price of 129 plus shipping. So then they offered to apply it to a store credit, but I said I wouldn't buy from them again, so I did get the difference applied to my card.

Moral of this story-- just go to Bert's here at home. They would have stayed open for me( called 10 min before closing time), but I couldn't get there due to flooding and trees down. I did buy from them, It was too late to cancel the order with Marine Depot. So now I have a spare.

They're your sites- vote daily!
http://vote.reefkeepingbasics.com/
http://vote.saltwaterfishpets.com/

Buy the book! It's Great!
http://www.reefkeepingbasics.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:46 pm
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
caritarn

sorry to hear that you had such trouble with marine depot. I live in driving distance from them. I've ordered lots from them and they have always offered their lowest price (I've called not done online) because I live close they ship next day no charge, unless it's heavy then I go pick up because the tax is cheeper than delivery. delivery is usually no tax. I'm disappointed that they didn't work with you. that just seems sooooo wrong to not match their advertised price- even if it was old. glad to hear you have someone you can trust and feel comfortable with though anyway
carita:)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:34 pm
  View user's profile Send private message    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
Tangman99

You will love the Eheim and it won't heat up your tank like the Mags. My mags added 3 degrees to my tank temp.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:01 pm
  View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
caritarn

this is my first summer with my tank- i started in oct last year. i thought my temps went up because of the weather. now I know its mainly because of my pump. i was told they were low heat put out. well i'm always still learning:)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:03 pm
Tangman99

I love the reliability of the Mags, but they do heat up the tank. Be very careful if you clean the Mag. The screws are very easy to cross-thread and will crack you cover. To prevent doing that, when you start to put them back in, turn them like you are taking them out until you feel it lift up and drop back down. Then carefully tighten the screw, but not too tight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:54 pm
caritarn

thanks for the tip Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:00 pm
Tangman99

Glad to help!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:29 pm
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » RKB's New Member's & General Discussion Area » Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Jump to: