ReefKeepingBasics.com

ReefKeepingBasics.com
 A Reef Keeping Forum for Hobbyists 
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 
 Reef Keeping Basics Online Resource CenterReef Keeping Basics Online Resource Center   Eric V. Van Der Hope's BlogEric V. Van Der Hope's eZine/Blog
The time now is Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:46 am
All times are UTC - 8
View posts since last visit
View unanswered posts
Calendar
 Forum index » Specialty Areas » Knowledge Reef Island » Social Awareness of Responsible Reef Keeping
Social Responsibility
Moderators: Mod Team
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 2 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
caritarn

what about the aquacultured corals, how do you know if they are telling the truth or not? I have heard aquacultured corals cost more- but is it just a mark up or the truth? how could you find out?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:56 pm
  View user's profile Send private message    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
caritarn

also, what are the better ways to catch fish? obviously cyanaide is really bad for the fish and the enviroment.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:57 pm
  View user's profile Send private message    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
Tizzo
RKB's Advisor

Oops...sorry...I didn't even see your post RT. Embarassed

Yup, waiting on waterfaller1.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:29 pm
waterfaller1
RKB's Moderator

No need to wait for me, Tizzo hit the nail on the head. It is usually the most brightly colored fish, and it won't be 'thick'. It may even be borderline pinched in the tummy. Cyanide usually kills within two weeks of shipping..another good bet. Most responsible LFS do their best to buy from wholesalers who avoid the suppliers who continually ship out sick or cyanide caught fish. Some shippers even guarantee their fish to be net caught, but we pay a hefty price for them. Many customers do not realize why some of our fish may cost a bit more. ORA for example, their clowns, assessors, fridmanis, {even their corals} cost more than some wild caught fish , but alot of care goes into aquaculturing them & insuring healthy batches. You can tell wild caught colonies of hard coral by their type & size sometimes. Many die within the first few days of shipping, due to stress. ORA and aquacultured corals are generally sold on some sort of plug these days. Also with fish...it is usually only certain types that are notorious. Indonesian fish are often cyanide caught, but Hawaiian, Australian, fish from the Cook's Islands, will never be. They are net caught...and this also cost more. Think of a diver who has to go down with a net, vs. one who can just let out a poison, stun the fish..and scoop them up..it's sad. Flame angels, coral beauties, and copperband butterflies are the ones to watch out for most. I feel it is best to get a close relationship with who is running & working in your LFS. If you see people walking out the door with a tank under one arm, a bag of fish & some salt...you may want to find a quality place to buy from... Wink Same goes for online, there are a few places that really devote alot of care to insure healthy specimens, their reputation depends on it. Research goes a long way in this hobby. Cool

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:33 am
Last edited by waterfaller1 on Mon May 07, 2007 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
waterfaller1
RKB's Moderator

As far as what we do at our shop, I am proud to say that Marcye..my friend & the owner of the shop is the greatest! She has taken this little shop{I worked there before she bought it} and made it an incredible one. It was always an aquaculturing store, but she went ahead and rented a spot next door to have a new & improved shop...and keep the old one as the farm. She tries to buy from the specific places I mentioned, and was recently certified as an aquaculturist. She won't sell livestock that notoriously dies, or damages your tank such as horseshoe crabs, sandsifting starfish... She is a hobbyist first, and the only owner I have ever seen that will take anything unwanted from a customer...such as damsels they have bought at another shop{we don't sell them} and find them good homes for free! We have a few fish that have become residents at our shop because they lost an eye, or noone wanted them. She's a smart girl, and I see her going through great lengths to make this place the best. We went on a behind the scenes tour of ORA's aquaculture facility and took a bunch of our customers recently. Marcye has such a good relationship with them, that we got to see some things most others do not. Such as the submarines that you see on The Discovery Channel ..and we even got to see one of the curator's private tank..it was awesome! We were'nt allowed to go near the tiny newborn fish..for contamination purposes, but they let us peer in at them from a distance. Smile ORA told us that they treat any new corals that come in...and they lose about half of them! In fact ORA retired a pair of 30 year old maroon clowns from their breeding program to our store! We decided to name them Paul & Paulette, after the man who has cared for them for all these years! Some elderly customers' decided to get out of the hobby, and had just recently donated the contents of their tank, including a gorgeous purple long tentacle anemone. So we paired the maroons up with it in our LPS display tank. It took them less than two hours to find the anemone..very cool to watch after all these years, they are having a blast in that anemone! Cool
Marcye recently bought an elaborate..in fact two microscopes, so we can look at pests, diseases, bacterias, etc..in an attempt to identify them. Ask me one of these days how we 'met'..it's a very interesting story. Cool

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:44 am
caritarn

Shocked wow!!! that sounds awsome. I'm a newbie (just under a year) in this hobby. I have learned alot. some not by choice. I try to keep well informed because my friend who got me started has the belief you learn from the errors. I would rather prevent the errors. I have greatly enjoyed this hobby and now am starting to reap the benifits. for a while I was just trying to balance my tank and get all my stuff working right. now it is and it is awsome. I have been reading about aquacultured corals, trying to expand my range. by the end of this year I plan on having a 150gal FOWLR and changing my 75 gal tank to a reef tank. so your info really helped alot. I asked about the cyanide because I had asked at the store I go to and they say they were not cyanide caught, I trust them, they have been a great help with knowldge, but just wanted to know because I have checked out 2 other stores that have more corals than the one I go to and of course I've checked out their fish too. So far I have not purchased on line for fear of getting sick fish or not the specimen I would have wanted. I have only purchased from this one store and they have even taken back fish if they didn't work out in my tank ( only did that once ). thanks alot

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:26 pm
Reef Tsunami
Host/Administrator

happy this info is helping

Quote:
"I try to keep well informed because my friend who got me started has the belief
you learn from the errors. I would rather prevent the errors"

Wow! Your friend sounds like a real winner! Shocked Rolling Eyes Isn't it more wise to not
HAVE to make mistakes in the first place . . . !? Shocked Anyways, sounds like you are
surely on the right track by learning and preventing mistakes that DON'T have
to be made in the first place! Wink

Sounds like you found a good lfs store . . . hopefully they don't let you down. Razz

Quote:
"So far I have not purchased on line for fear of getting sick fish or not the specimen
I would have wanted."

Good!! I say this because I think for those that start off in the hobby, its really
important to see the fish you are purchasing. Seeing the fish prior to purchasing
gives you a much greater chance of success than buying something you can't see. Very Happy

The advantages are obvious . . . you get to see if the fish is healthy, is it eating well,
is it alert, any odd behavior symptoms? These are just a few things that you'll be
made aware of when you actually get your eyes on the fishy pet you end up choosing
to purchase. Razz

Your plans sounds good, continue to research and continually ask questions. This
is a great place to be to learn - as you have already attested to.

Waterfeller1 has provided superb information - I'm glad it's been beneficial for
you and am sure it has and will be for others as well . . . thanks Waterfeller1! Wink

Eric
(((Reef Tsunami)))

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:44 pm
  View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website    Mark this post and the followings unread Back to top 
Page 2 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Specialty Areas » Knowledge Reef Island » Social Awareness of Responsible Reef Keeping
Jump to: